Michael is a science journalist and co-founder of MajorPlanet Studios dedicated to creating new ways to tell multimedia stories. He reports on the intersection of science, economics, and the environment as a contributor to FastCompany, The Economist, Foreign Policy and others. Before barnstorming the Web as CNN.com’s science producer, he was managing editor of Cambodia’s Phnom Penh Post and earned an MESc focused on environmental economics from the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. He helped write the book, Human Face of Big Data, and has more on the way. His favorite topics are wicked problems that we need to solve during the next century -- and this almost perfect story about how dung beetles navigate using starlight from the Milky Way (and all that implies about the human condition). If not writing, he’s outing goodness with the Awesome Foundation or swimming in the Pacific. Find him at The Grotto in San Francisco. Follow him @mj_coren.
- A New Kind Of Agriculture Replaces Intuition With Precision
- This Dutch "Sand Engine" Uses Nature's Destructive Power To Protect From Flooding
- Using CO2 For Fracking Means No Dirty Water And Less Climate Change
- Making Renting A Store As Easy As Booking A Hotel Room
- Developing World Comedians Turn Poverty Into A Joke
- Just A Few Extra Transit Riders Can Do Wonders For Traffic
- The New Lightest Material On Earth Might Be The Key To Cleaning Oil Spills
- This Art Is All Made From A Newly Invented Kind Of Wood
- Could A Delicious Peach Hold The Secret To Biofuel?
- Citizen Libraries Are The New Home For The Printed Word